Makeruna! Shogeruna! Noriokureruna! #9 (January 23rd)

Exercise your brain with a famous game theory problem     How to go to heaven?



Here's one I forgot to put on my blog.




It's Hayashi Runa, a 4th gen member from Nogizaka46.

Every time I look at the calendar or the lock screen of my phone, I think, "it's already the next month, huh?".

I'm relieved to see that the speed of time in my mind hasn't changed.




I'm currently working on a thesis titled, "Game Theory: Telepathy and Communication" and while I was writing it, I remembered a famous problem. 


I'm sure many of you are familiar with it, and I'd like to invite you to see it as well.


→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 

You died due to an oversupply of oshimens.

You're walking down the street thinking, "I wanna go to heaven~",
then at a certain point, you come to a place where the road forks in two, 
and there are two gates with a guard standing in front of each gate who looks exactly the same.

And there's a warning that says:

- You may only ask one question per gate.
- One keeper is honest, but the other always lies.

 What question can I ask to find out which is the gate to heaven?


→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 


In this case, there is no guarantee that the honest guard will be standing at the gate to heaven.


So, there are these two possible patterns.


Pattern A

To heaven = honest
To hell = Liar

Pattern B

To heaven = Liar
To hell = honest


Did you already get the right question?


The correct question to do to the guards is...

"Is the gate behind you the gate to heaven?
And tell me, would you answer "yes"?"



Just with this...


Pattern A 

Honest 

"The gate behind me is the gate to heaven. So I'd say "yes"."

→「Yes」

Liar

The gate behind me is the gate to hell.
That's why I lie and say "yes" even though the answer is really "no".
So the answer is "yes" but it's a lie.

→「No」

Next, Pattern B


Honest

The gate behind me is the gate to hell. So I'd answer "no".

 →「No」


Liar

The gate behind me is the gate to heaven.

That's why I lie and say "no" even though the answer is really "yes".

So the answer is "no" but it's a lie.

→「Yes」


In other words, pattern A and pattern B both give the answer "yes" for going to heaven and "no" for going to hell.


Just like the mathematical rule, "negative x negative = positive" with negative numbers, a lie with a lie becomes true.

 I hope this has helped you exercise your mind.

I'm sure you're wondering what's going on with me all of a sudden.



Well, speaking of sudden...

 The music video of "Out of the blue", a song by the 4th gen members of Nogizaka46, is now available on YouTube!

And it's now available on all subscription and digital-paid sites!


We hope you enjoy it!















Please watch it.



※ The objective of this problem is to explain how to think "In a situation where there are interested parties, consider the interests of yourself and the other party and decide on the best course of action."

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »